Illuminate your 4th of July cookout with three fun and festive patriotic lanterns. It is easy to create a whimsical party atmosphere using household items and battery operated lights. These are fun projects you can also do with the kids.
Patriotic Mason Jar Lanterns
These Patriot Mason Jar Lanterns are super fun and easy to create. They are a great project to do with the kids. Each one is it’s own work of art because no two are the same. You can use recycled jars, inexpensive acrylic paint and battery operated light to for this design. Click here to learn how to make these Patriotic Mason Jars!
Stars and Stripes Lanterns
- Empty Tissue Boxes
- Red and Blue Acrylic Paint
- White Parchement Paper or Vellum
- White Flameless tea lights, flameless wax candles or fairy lights
Instructions to Create the Stars and Stripes Lanterns
- Cut out a star shape in the front of one of the tissue boxes. The hole should be on the bottom of the box to be placed over a candle.
- Cut out two evenly spaced stripes on the front of a tissue box with the hole being the bottom of the box.
- Paint the star box blue and the striped box red let dry.
- Cut a piece of white parchement paper or vellum to the size of the inside front of the box.
- Tape the vellum over the the cutout shape on the inside of the box.
- Place a flameless candle or fairy lights inside the box to illuminate the cutout shape.
Red, White and Blue Crackle Terracotta Candle Holders
- Small Terracotta pots
- Crackle Paint Medium
- Red, White, Blue and Gold Acrylic Paint
- Flameless Wax Candles
Instructions to Make the Terracotta Candle Holders
- Paint the terracotta pots with contrasting paint that will show through as the crackled color.
- Paint the Crackle medium over the base coat and let dry.
- Paint the contrasting paint over the crackle medium for a worn, weathered effect.
- Place flameless candles into the terracotta pots and display them during your 4th of July BBQ.