ThereÂ doesn’tÂ have to be a big sporting event to enjoy fresh and delicious tomato salsa. Â I have been testing different brands to find the perfect salsa and I am always left with a feeling of â€¦well I like the texture but it is a bit bland or it is tasty butÂ didn’tÂ care for the texture. When getting ready to watch the Ravens playoff game against the Broncos, I decided to concoct my own batch using all the ingredients thought would make a good salsa. The result was delicious and exactly the type of salsa I have been searching forâ€¦a fresh tomato taste with a good chunky texture and just enough spice to tingle the senses.
Here is my recipe for my fresh homemade salsa.
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes (the better the tomatoes, the tastier the salsa)
- 8 fresh grape tomatoes, chopped (I like to add a few fresh tomatoes for taste and texture)
- Â¼ large red onion chopped small (add more or less depending on your taste)
- Â½Â jalapenoÂ pepper, seeds removed and minced
- 1 small garlic clove
- Â½ lime
- Â¼ t sugar
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/8 t ground chipotle
- 2 T fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- Place the diced tomatoes and grape tomatoes in the foodÂ processorÂ and pulse until it is the desired consistency. I like my salsa chunky so I only ran it for a few seconds.
- Pour the tomatoes in to a medium sized bowl and add onions and jalapeno pepper.
- Using a garlic press, squeeze the garlic into the salsa and the juice of Â½ lime. Stir to combine.
- Add the sugar, salt, ground chipotle and cilantro.
- You can eat it right away or put in the refrigerator for a few hours the meld the flavors. Serve with your favorite chips. Enjoy!