Flameless DIY Tiki Torches – Crafts with Wrapping Paper Rolls
It’s easy to create festive decorations for summer like these faux bamboo tiki torches with fake flames. Learn how to transform wrapping paper rolls and reused cans into flameless Tiki torches that look like the real thing. They add a festive charm to any summer event. I love to reuse items from around the house to make my designs. Not only is it less expensive, but the end result is much more interesting. They are perfect for any summer BBQ, party, or just for fun.
Here I brought them to my DIY Beach Party Craft TV segment on NBC affiliate WBAL-TV. I showed how to make everything on my table using things you may already have around your house along with inexpensive things from the craft store.
Materials Used to DIY Tiki Torches
- Empty Wrapping Paper Tubes
- Empty Cans (15 oz size)
- Rubber Bands
- Green Raffia or Twine
- Black Spray Paint
- Light, Dark Brown and Black Acrylic Paint
- Round Wood Disks
- Red, Yellow and Orange tissue paper
- Hot Glue Gun
- Assorted Shells and Starfish
Instructions to DIY Tiki Torches
- Cut a wrapping paper roll 18 inches long. Draw a line 8 inches from the top and cut even slits to the 8 inch mark as shown below.
- Draw a line 7 inches from the bottom and cut even slits to the 8 inch mark as shown below.
- Spray paint the cans with black paint until the entire surface is covered.
- Paint the wood base with brown paint and add some lighter paint to give it a natural wood look.
- Add dark paint brush strokes the wrapping paper roll to simulate bamboo.
- Place the can inside the longer part of the wrapping paper roll and secure with rubber bands. There is no need to glue.
- Glue the base to the bottom of the wrapping paper roll.
- Glue raffia and shell accents to the bottom of the torch and cover the rubber bands with raffia.
- Roll pieces of the wrapping paper roll into small tubes and glue to secure.
- Paint them black and add pieces of red, yellow and orange tissue to simulate a flame.
- Glue raffia and shell accents to the middle of the torch and glue on the faux flames to the top to complete your realistic, flameless tiki torches.