My daughter just graduated from kindergarten and I wanted to make her a cute little cap with a tassel to match her dress. It couldn’t be too big or it would overpower her pretty little head. I also wanted it to clip right to her hair rather than sit on top of her head like a traditional cap otherwise it would fall off when she ran around with her friends. I made it the night before the graduation and it came out adorable. Not only did she love it but parents and teachers kept commenting on how cute her cap was and asked me where I bought it.
Difficulty – Easy
- Heavy cardboard
- Black satin fabric
- Black satin ribbon
- Black satin covered button
- Embroidery floss
- Plastic barrette
- Craft glue
- Glue gun
- Cut a piece of heavy cardboard 4-1/2 inches by 4-1/2 inches. Cut a piece of black satin fabric 5 x 5 inches and another piece 4-1/4 x 4-1/4 inches.
- Apply craft glue to one side of the cardboard and place centered on top of the wrong side of the 5×5 inch piece of fabric. Smooth out all of the creases.
- Apply glue to the edges of the cardboard that does not have the black fabric attached and fold over the edges to attach. Fold in the corners and glue.
- Apply craft glue to the side of the cardstock without the fabric and place the 4-1/4×4-1/4 inch piece of fabric center on the cardboard. Smooth out all of the creases.
- Cut 4 pieces of ribbon the length to cover the raw edge of the fabric and attach with craft glue.
- Make a tassel by wrapping embroidery floss around a 2-1/2 inch piece of cardboard about 10 times.
- Slide a piece of embroidery floss through one end of the loops and tie. Cut the other end and then wrap floss 4 times around non cut end about ¼ inch from the top and tie off to finish the tassel.
- Braid 3 strands of floss together to make the string that will attach to the cap. Tie it to the tassel.
- Glue the end of the tassel string to the center top of the cap. Cut the loop off the bottom of the button and glue to the top center of the cap with a glue gun.
- Glue the barrette to the center of the bottom of the cap with a glue gun to complete this adorable design.